most of my tips have been locking up nicely on their own, with just a few little bits poking out the ends at odd angles. I mostly ascribe to the "neglect" method and don't do any kind of maintenance on my dreads (other than washing, of course) but I finally took a big needle the other day and sewed a bunch of the little bits back in. it's tedious stuff, and i didn't take any "before" pictures, but here's the end of my ponitail "after."
leftish ones done, obviously, and rightish ones being in their totally natural state
...except for that one little tuft still sticking out mid-leftish; it was too short for me to sew in, but it's cool; i like to fiddle with it compulsively :)