um. i put a lot of work into my hair + i just thought i'd share for one last time a few things that did/didn't work for me with those of you who are attempting this on your own.
things that worked (no promises):
1. listening to bob marley while starting out. i think its written somewhere in the fine print....
2. not washing my hair for a week or so before dreading, and still for another couple weeks afterwards (until i couldn't stand it anymore).
3. going through about 2 containers of knotty boy during the first 4 or 5 months.
4. backcombing only my roots after 3 months.
5. using KB on my roots only after 3 - 4 months.
6. knotting my tips after 1 - 2 months. (i hardly ever see anyone try this. if you want nice round ends, DO THIS. it works really, really well.)
7. backcombing my roots as they grew out, and then putting elastics on them for 7-14 days after.
things that didn't (again, this is my opinion):
sharp objects and your dreads do not go together! ever! especially with new dreads. ahh!
the only time i would recommend cutting your dreads is if you want to shorten them.. and even then, make sure they are well-formed and can take the abuse.
loose, undreaded hair underneath can and wants to be turned into more dreads! not cut off.
frizzies look cool! and if you really can't stand them on your dreads, wax 'em down. don't cut them off.
i think that's it. happy napping.